Updated: Jan 17
Inflammation is your biggest enemy.
I'm sure we have all heard of conditions that end with the suffix itis. What this suffix really indicates is that the body's inflammatory process has occurred in a specific tissue in your body. For example, gastritis means that the lining of the stomach is experiencing inflammation.
And not to oversimplify every single condition that exists out there, but we can safely assume that most conditions that are being classified chronic or "something you just learn to live with" have a certain level of inflammation that is not entirely being addressed.
Before I get to the incredible benefits of this ginger & turmeric tea, I want to share a story with you - one that is personally very powerful to me.
About four years ago, my 41 year old father started suffering incredibly painful episodes of gout on his feet. This episodes started to come in the form of inflammation on his toes, which caused so much pain that would wake him up in the middle of the night.
After having read a study (which I'm linking here) on the proven effects of turmeric to fight inflammation and pain, I shared the news with him - news that were met with skepticism. Our society has unfortunately placed skepticism on the power of herbs that have existed on this earth for hundreds of years and have placed blind trust on pharmacological treatments that in some cases exist merely due to their ability to patent and market.
He continued to place his entire trust on a costly medication that he was going to have to take every single month for the rest of his life. This given that his specialist told him that this condition was something that, although would get better, he would simply have to learn to live with.
Personally, the prospect of having to take a pill for the rest of my life knowing that its not even getting rid of the pain but rather making it more "bearable" seemed plain out wrong. Not to mention the terrible side effects, which in his case had started as a weird and constant ring on his ear. I'm sure there was another pill for that ring too.
One night, he wakes up with so much pain that he decides to give my turmeric and ginger tea a try. On a pot, he puts together water, peeled turmeric root, peeled ginger root and the juice of a small lime. When he wakes up, he realizes that both the pain and inflammation on his toes is completely gone. In less than 24 hours, the arthritis- like inflammation he experienced on his toes as well as the excruciating pain, were completely gone.
If you are anything like my father was and you are suffering from a condition that has made you a slave to a prescription, I truly believe you should give this drink a try.
It is important to note that the benefits of ginger and turmeric tea are not exclusive to gout, but are effective to ALL types of inflammation. These are some of the most notable benefits:
1. Decreasing inflammation - Inflammation is the root to all disease. This means turmeric and ginger tea are good for almost every condition. Ranging from a regular upper respiratory infection to boosting kidney health and getting rid of pain without the overuse of acetaminophen (Tylenol).
2. Gets rid of joint pain - Studies have shown that ginger and turmeric have a particularly strong effect on inflammation and pain caused by osteoarthritis, gout and other conditions that affect bone structure and joints. Moreover, it is also incredibly effective in the treatment of muscle soreness and pain. In a double - blind crossover trial, participants started taking turmeric two days before a physically strenuous workout and continued to three days after. Those taking turmeric, noted reductions in pain and soreness as well as a slightly increased performance due to a lack of pain.
3. Helpful in depression & mood disorders - Turmeric has been found to target inflammation in the brain which leads to a decrease in mood disorders, depression and dementia. According to Dr. Amen from Amen Clinics, depression and mood disorders have been found to be linked with extreme inflammation in the brain which then triggers feelings of exhaustion, sickness and anxiety.
4. Helps your digestion & reduces bloating - Ginger and turmeric have the ability to cut down fermentation and constipation which can lead to severe bloating and accumulation of visceral fat due to a lack of gastrointestinal motility. This tea is specially effective for bloating and gas, given that it targets the inflammation caused in the stomach's lining after a particularly acid meal.
5. Boosts Immune System - Turmeric and tea are beneficial to consume even when you are not experiencing a particularly painful condition. Due to its anti - inflammatory properties and how rich in phytonutrients they are, they protect your body from neutralizing free radicals shielding the cells from damage.
Most importantly, I want to encourage you to be your own advocate and do research on what works for you - and the best way of doing that is by having the openness to trying out methods you haven't tried before.
Check out our Instagram here